Search

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Fabric Box/Liner Making - Simpler Way

Remember the last time I tried making Fabric boxes? Making one box took most of my Sunday afternoon. I badly needed a simpler and faster way to make them. Why this obsession with fabric boxes? I really don't know. I need them for storing my fabric, yarn and other craft stuff.

This is more a fabric liner than a fabric box. 

Time to jump right into the tutorial...

I took a 12 X 14 X 8 cardboard box

Placed it on a fabric to cut the bottom rectangle. The bottom fabric should measure  one inch more than the bottom of the box. For me, I took a 13 X 15 fabric rectangle.

For making the sides of the box, take a strip of cloth 5 inches more than the height of the box. I took 13 inch strip of fabric of length 54 inches . The length of the strip should be 2(LENGTH + WIDTH + 1) inches

Join fabric strip to the bottom rectangle as shown below (Sorry for the rough sketch)
After stitching, the fabric cover's height will be more than the height of the box. The extra height helps to wrap it over the edges of the box. It fits snugly. I like it!

I glued colourful paper to the cardboard box and then covered the insides of the box with the fabric liner.

These are so quick to make and I can always toss the liner in the washer if it becomes dirty. They are re-usable too! I love them! :)


No comments: